Missouri and Arkansas Railroad


Prototype

The Eureka Springs Railroad as well as its successors connected with the Frisco Railroad at Seligman, MO. The joint station is pictured below along with plans from a model magazine.
The scene below is also Seligman, showing the water tank at the south end of the station and the M&A turntable at the south end of their track behind the station.

The first railroad to serve Eureka Springs, Arkansas was the Eureka Springs Railroad. Here we see their rock station at the foot of the street leading into downtown. Eureka Springs only has one through street other than the one leading to the station. The town is built on a steep hill side and has main side streets radiating but only one that twists and turns through town. In downtown there is one hotel that is 7 stories tall, each a ground floor. The station was once used by the original Ozarka Water Company. At one time they loaded spring water into tank cars in Eureka for use in northern cities. After the last railroad, the Arkansas & Ozarks shut down operations in 1960, they trucked the water to Garfield, AR on the Frisco Central Division for loading into tank cars. The building is now used by the tourist operation Eureka Springs and North Arkansas Railroad.

This Eureka Springs Railway timetable was issued March 6, 1886.

This Eureka Springs Railway timetable was issued Nov. 18, 1889.

This public timetable for the St. Louis and North Arkansas from 1930 shows all of the stations from Seligman, MO to Gilbert, AR.
Click on each image below to get a larger image. Repeat the click of the mouse on the larger image to get an even larger image.

The M&NA tried motor cars very early. Here we see one of 2 GE gas-electrics that they owned. However, one was destroyed in a spectacular crash at Tipton Ford, MO (date) on KCS trackage rights when it hit head-on to a KCS train. After that they sold the remaining gas electric to the KO&G who continued to operate it until the end of their passenger service.

This public timetable for the Missouri and North Arkansas from 1930 shows all of the stations from Joplin, MO to Helena, AR.

Click on each image below to get a larger image. Repeat the click of the mouse on the larger image to get an even larger image.

The Missouri & Arkansas Railroad was preceeded by several earlier companies, including the Missouri & North Arkansas Railroad, not to be confused with the present day Missouri and NorthERN Arkansas Railroad which took over the White River Division of the Missouri Pacific.

A Map of Harrison, AR from 11/3/1939 showing the location of the M&A Shops and yard.

One of the motor cars is seen stopped at the Harrison, AR station.

Here are a couple of photos of the Missouri & Arkansas Railroad facilites in Harrison, AR.

Harrison, AR roundhouse. Note that one of the two ACF motor cars is sitting in the left most stall.

M&A 4-6-0 #20 is seen being serviced before its run with the passenger train.

M&A 4-6-0 #20 is seen taking coal after it stops with the passenger train.

This page was designed and is maintained by Mike Condren. If you have materials
that you would like to contribute, contact me at mcondren@cbu.edu